Wood Shake Roofing
A wood shake roof is a great investment for any home really. Not only will it provide an increased curb appeal, but your home and roof structure will be that much more protected. The wood shake has been around for a long time and can be a big hassle if you don’t have the right team of roofers to call on. If you want to discuss wood shakes for your Rockwall and Dallas, TX property, give Heaven Sent Exterior Solutions a call at 469-264-5176.
Wood Shake vs Wood Shingle
Let’s go ahead and clear the air. There is in fact a difference between wood shakes and wood shingles.
- Wood shakes are often split on either side or split on one side with one clean edge. They are cut more closely with the grain of the good appearing a little wavier in texture.
- Wood shingles often have all clean sides and are typically more uniform in appearance.
It can be difficult to find the distinction between wood shakes and wood shingles. The best way to determine what you have is to look at the edges. They will be the best indicator of the roofing material you have.
Wood Shake Benefits
So what are the benefits of a wood shake roof? There are actually a lot! Wood shake roofing is a great investment, but it is an investment. If you are considering this material for your roofing structure, there are several things to consider. Most want to know, though, what are the benefits of this kind of roofing.
- Stability: Shake shingles are great at holding their original dimensions in humid conditions. They won’t shrink or crack under extreme weather. They are also UV resistant, moisture resistant, and adaptable to a variety of climates.
- Versatility: There is an overwhelming belief that shake shingles are not versatile, but that is simply not true. Wood shakes come in a variety of colors, finishes, and styles offering homeowners quite a bit of room to work.
- Strength: Cedar shakes are probably some of the toughest shake for wood on the market. Cedar itself is regarded as one of the strongest woods so it definitely makes for a great shingle.
- Insulating: Along with being strong, cedar is also a natural insulator. This means your home will be cooler in the summer months and warmer in the winter months. Great for increasing your homes energy efficiency.
- Curb Appeal: Of course one of the best benefits of wood shakes are the curb appeal. These shingles or shakes will bring an enhanced appearance to your home that you just can’t find with any other roofing material.
Wood shakes and wood shingles are a great investment for homes in a variety of places. Give Heaven Sent Exterior Solutions a call at 469-264-5176 if you are considering wood shakes in Rockwall and Dallas, TX or the surrounding areas.
Wood Shake Care Tips
After wanting to know what the benefits are of this roofing material, most homeowners then want to know what it will take to care for a wood shake roof. As we’ve mentioned, wood shake roofing is an investment. In order to get the most bang for your buck, there are several things you can do to care for your roof.
- Check for Damage: One of most important things to do with a shake roof is to check for damage regularly. While this material is resilient, damage can still occur. Sometimes without your knowledge. Always make sure tree limbs are trimmed back from the roof and contact Heaven Sent Exterior Solutions when you need reliable wood shake repair.
- Check for Moss, Lichen, or Mold: While checking for damages, be on the lookout for moss, mold, or lichen. Shake roofs that were installed 30 or more years ago may need to be replaced because of the installation practices used then have proven to not be as effective at keeping moisture and mold accumulation.
- Cleaning: Regularly cleaning your shake roof is vital to maintaining the appearance and longevity. It will also make sure that any moss or mold build up is cleared out. While a weathered and aged look is part of the appeal of a shake roof, dirty and damaged is not.
- Finishing: To help keep that aged look without risking damage to your roof, investing in a good finishing top coat. This will help your shake roof to withstand the elements while also maintaining its color for years. Be sure the finisher is fire resistant as well.
- Ventilation and Insulation: Last but not least, one of the most important care tips for a shake roof is to make sure your attic has adequate ventilation and insulation. Otherwise, moisture can accumulate and cause significant roof damage and wood rot.
When investing in shake or wood shingles, make sure you are working with a reliable team. Like when you are investing in whole house repiping, you want to be sure the roofers you work with are experienced and professional.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a wood shake roof?
- It is a roof made of wooden shingles. The wooden shingles are made from split logs.
- How long do cedar shake roofs last?
- Cedar shingles are actually expected to last up to 50 years.
- What is the life expectancy of a wood shake roof?
- It is estimated that wood shake shingles can last up to 30 years. That is taking into consideration regular maintenance and repairs.
- How do you repair a cedar shake roof?
- Repairs and installations can be tricky for inexperienced roofers. Instead, rely on roofing teams like the one with Heaven Sent Exterior Solutions.
- Are wood shake roofs safe?
- If you live in an area where the threat of fire is not eminent, then yes, wood shake roofs are safe. In general, they are very safe, but there can still be dangers and issues associated with this material.
Connect With Heaven Sent Exterior Solutions for More Roofing and Shingle Services!
For wood shakes in Rockwall and Dallas, TX, contact the best team in your area. Call Heaven Sent Exterior Solutions today at 469-264-5176 to schedule an appointment!